In an effort to provide you with updated information, we have created the below FAQs as they relate to our school district, and as we receive confirmation and clarification from our Provincial Health Officials and the Ministry of Education. This is a working document and may be amended regularly. If you have a question that you do not see listed below, please let us know and we will do our best to find an answer in a timely manner.
- Will schools and sites remain closed for the rest of the school year?
All schools are closed to students, but not to staff. All regular 10-month and 12-month employees should be available to show up for work. Any changes to this direction would come from the Minister of Education, who would consult with public health agencies prior to changing this status.
- Are Administrative and Operational sites open?
At this time, our Administrative and Operational sites (School Board Office, Facilities, Bus Garge) are closed to the public but open to staff. Appointments can be made by phone (250-782-8571).
- Will the school year be extended into the summer months?
We have not received this direction from the Ministry of Education. The decision to extend the school year would be made by the Minister. It's too early to determine if this will be necessary.
- Are schools and sites being cleaned during the closure period?
All Peace River South School District sites are receiving enhanced cleaning during this COVID-19 outbreak, which focuses on increased cleaning of high touch surfaces, doorknobs, desktops, washrooms, food prep areas, etc.
- What can I do to prevent the spread of infection?
As recommended by Provincial Health Officials: stay home and away from others, if sick or in isolation; wash hands often; cover coughs and sneezes with your elbows; avoid touching face with unwashed hands; avoid travel outside Canada; self-isolate for 14 days if returning from travel outside Canada or were exposed to COVID-19; and contact your primary health provider or Health Link 811 if you have questions about your health.
Students + Instruction
- Will students be provided with online learning opportunities during the closure?
The Ministry of Education has indicated that school districts should develop educational continuity plans and we are working on those resources now. As they are finalized, we will communicate with students and staff accordingly.
- Will Grade 12 students be at risk of not graduating?
All students who are currently on track to graduate will do so.
- Will I have to redo my current grade?
Every student will receive a final mark based on their current academic standing. Students in a positive academic standing will advance to the next grade.
- My current mark is low and I was looking to improve it before the mid-term marks are in. Will this closure impact my marks?
Please discuss this with your teacher and school administration.
- Will this impact college and university applications?
We do not believe there will be an impact, however, it's best that you check with your college or university.
- Will school staff be expected to be at work during these closures?
All staff who work in schools will not be expected to be at work during Spring Break, March 16 – March 27. Administrative and Operational sites are closed to the public. Those in regular/continuing positions should be available to attend their regular place of work following Spring Break. More guidelines around “Working Conditions” will come out in the days and weeks ahead.