Kindergarten at Devereaux Elementary School is based on the Kindergarten Philosophy as outlined in your Welcome to Kindergarten information package.
Kindergarten is a child’s transition from informal learning experiences to the schooling experience. Our Kindergarten program depends upon parent and community involvement and communication between parent, teacher and child.
Kindergarten at Devereaux includes both unstructured and structured learning experiences. The goal of our Kindergarten program is to help each child develop physically, socially, emotionally, intellectually and culturally in a warm, friendly environment.
As the age of children entering into Kindergarten varies, there is no ‘typical’ child. However, to help your child build confidence in their abilities in this most important year, children can be encouraged to:
* take care of their belongings by learning to put on their own shoes and coat, and hang up their coat and backpack
* be away from parents for a few hours
* be familiar with some nursery rhymes, fairy tales and stories
* listen quietly to a story
* tell their first and last names.
How to Help your Child:
* read to your child daily
* give your child simple instructions to follow
* give your child a wide variety of experiences
* encourage your child to learn basic social manners such as “please” and “thank you”
* help your child accept their emotions. For example, “It is ok to feel frustrated, but we don’t hit.”
Our current Devereaux Kindergarten students have some encouraging words to offer to their new classmates:
“I want to play with you!”
“You are welcome in our school!”
“You will get lots of play time!”
“You can learn to read!”
“We have fun!”
We look forward to working with your child. See you soon!