School District 59's top priority is always the safety of our staff and students. We continue to work closely with local and provincial health authorities to get the latest information and ensure we cooperate with any recommended measures for COVID-19.
These pages contains answers to frequently asked questions, information, resources and links that may be useful to you during this difficult time.
- In an effort to provide you with updated information, we have created the below FAQs as they relate to our school district, and as we receive confirmation and clarification from our Provincial Health Officials and the Ministry of Education. This is a working document and may be amended regularly. If you have a question that you do not see listed below, please let us know and we will do our best to find an answer in a timely manner.
Keep Learning BC - Provincial Website with Learning Resources This site offers a collection of resources to help support learning while families are home due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the suspension of in-class instruction.
- Social Distancing for Families Infographic (thank you to Burnaby School District and Province of BC for sharing)
Frequently Asked Questions on NewCoronavirus(COVID-19) for Children and Students This document from the BC Centre for Disease Control offers Frequently asked Questions on COVID-19 for Children and Students.
Mental Health Resources for Parents and Students:
- https://cmhakelowna.com/coronavirus-managing-stress-anxiety/#children Not sure how to explain coronavirus (COVID-19) to your children? The Canadian Mental Health Association has great tips for discussing the pandemic with your kids, including managing stress and anxiety.
- http://www.erase.gov.bc.ca For mental health and online safety support, all families have access to ERASE - Expect Respect and a Safe Education.
- https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/watch-coronavirus-facts-versus-fiction This YouTube video from CBC for Kids is a nice way to dispel some of the myths circulating out there in regard to the virus.
- www.gov.bc.ca/COVID19 This is a new provincial government website that is constantly being updated with the latest information.
- https://www.healthlinkbc.ca This site has up to date information on how the risk of COVID-19 is being addressed in the province of British Columbia.
- http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel) Information about COVID-19, including advice and guidance to schools, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMw2evwMFA This video was produced by the Centers for Disease Control and The Associated Press. It provides a good description of the virus, how it infects people and what preventative measures should be taken.
- www.gov.bc.ca/SafeSchools/ This provincial government site has a comprehensive set of frequently asked questions that will be continually updated as things progress.